Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Day Tradition

Sorry no post last evening, I spent the night changing the patches on my Scout uniform from the Cub Scout to Boy Scout patches.

Today marked the 5th consecutive year that Russell and I helped to decorate the National Cemetery in Phoenix with American flags for Memorial Day. With the cool, rainy weather, I expected to see half the usual number of people. Just like every year, there seemed to be more than ever.

Before we start, this desert cemetery looks something like this.


Troop 316 had a decent showing. This isn't all of us.



Hundreds, maybe thousands of scouts, parents, and even bikers get together at 6:45 in the morning. It gets hard to find a place where there isn't already somebody working.



Russell and I get a photo taken every year.




In under an hour, the job is done. With all the flags in place, it looks something like this.

1 comment:

Gray Rinehart said...

Very cool, Rick. All the best to you and yours,
Gray