Friday, September 05, 2008

An Untimely Death

I got home from work today and discovered my wireless modem is no more. It's pushing up the daisies. It's climbed the curtain and joined the choir invisible. It is an ex-modem. I thought these things were supposed to die right after the warranty expires, not with over 2 years left. Anyway, I don't get my new modem until sometime next week.

Of course, the guy on the tech support line had to ask me if the thing is plugged in. I told him I have a masters degree in engineering.

////

The pool was green at the beginning of August. I managed to kill the algae after significant problems. Now I'm fighting a bad pH problem. I've never had the pool go this acidic before. I've already added 5 pounds of soda ash. I bought another five pounds and dumped about a third of it in this evening. Hopefully that will get the pH back on the scale of my test kit. If not, maybe I'll start etching printed circuit boards.

I use a liquid test kit with phenol red, and the scale only goes down to pH 7.2 at a very light yellow. Heavens to murgatroid, a pool can be a pain. I'd really like to use it again before it gets too cold. It was 105 today, but I usually overseed in early October. It should be under 90 degrees for overseeding, so the summer days are waning.

No comments: