Thursday, August 07, 2008

School is Coming

This evening, we attended the middle school orientation for my daughters. Reanna is going to have most of the same teachers as Audrey did last year. School is coming. I've already emptied out the bank account buying backpacks and notebooks. Weird how it feels like I just took down the Christmas lights.

There isn't much news on the writing front. I've had a bunch of short story submissions out on the market since I did my blitz back on June 8th. A lot of those haven't come back yet.

The novel moves slowly ahead. I'm nearly completed with the alien branch of this Y-shaped story. I'll go and back-fill the human branch in a couple more chapters. Then, when the human story line catches up, the story lines merge and I finish up the trunk of the Y.

A Y-shaped story is one with two separate story lines, and two point of view characters that eventually merge together. My novel is a two branch story, but consider Niven and Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer. A story like that has branches that merge and break apart all over the place.

No comments: