Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rains

We had a nice soaking this afternoon, dumping a good inch of rain on our yard. This followed after another downpour thursday evening.

As it turns out, I was grilling, trying to finish the hamburgers before the wind picked up. I didn't make it. Even before I flipped the first set of burgers, it started blowing., so I wheeled the grill and my chair under the balcony. I flipped the burgers and sat down to read my book (Harlan Ellison's The Glass Teat). Not ten minutes later, fat raindrops started falling. Soon, the serious rain began.

I usually consider a rain to be a good rain, meaning worthwhile, enough to help my lawn, if water starts to collect in certain low spots in the yard. Before the last burgers went on, we had a small lake. The largest collection of water happens to be underneath the spot the recently yanked
desert spoon (see photo in a previous post) is waiting for disassemby.
------------
Today was a good example of how a writers group can help a story. I went in this evening with what I thought was a solid story. They found a lot of problems that need to be fixed. I'm not talking about major structural changes here, just the details where the devil lives. The suggestions were all good and will make this a much better story after I make my changes. Note I said my changes. Where there are problems pointed out, I am the one responsible for making any changes. I also get to decide when to just stet (leave alone).

No comments: