Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One of Those Days

I'm feeling just a bit frustrated today, and it has nothing to do with my writing. It's just that the every day stress of working under Yertle the Turtle inside the cardboard empire is getting to me.

segueless transition

I have been struggling with this DSL connection since I got it last year. I'm not sure what the problem is when I connect this desktop computer to the DSL modem directly with an ethernet cable. It behaves as if the cable gets clogged and the bandwidth pinches off until no data can get through. I also can't connect to random web sites, including my own ISP, even after a fresh boot.

Today, I had an idea. We have a wireless dongle that was intended to be for the kids' computer. It doesn't work there, probably due to an insensitive receiver. Well, I attached it to the desktop after unplugging the ethernet cable and voila, suddenly everything works just fine. I only need the cable if I want to talk directly to the modem, which doesn't happen all that often. So, little victories.

No comments: