Thursday, April 30, 2009

Inevitable Change

Sorry for the long delay between posts, but it has been a hectic week or so. I think all family now knows, so I don't feel like I'm jumping the gun posting here. Last wednesday morning my wife's mother passed away. She had lived with us for the past 16 years. Save whatever mother-in-law joke comes to mind, I've already heard it. But, she was part of the family and a fixture in our lives for all that time. The kids never knew the house without her.

The past two years and a few months have been a real challenge. She broke her hip in January of 2007 and never really recovered to the woman she was before. She needed constant care. It was tremendously difficult, but we did what we had to do. If you've done it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, chances are fair you will eventually.

I'm not going to go into any more detail because I don't think this is the right venue for it. What I will say is that looking back through all the thousands of photos I took over the course of 16 years, it was rare for me to find a photo of her without a smile on her face. I discovered that while digging through them all to put together slideshow to send to family and friends. (Still working on refining it.)

Anyway, a change like this is a fairly significant change, and it's going to take some time before everything settles into a new normal.

-------

If you actually come to my blog to learn about my writing, M-Brane SF #4 was just released. It contains my story "Plan R." If you are quick enough, you can grab a copy here.

No comments: