Friday, May 05, 2006

I met Harlan Ellison today!

Attended the friday portion of the Nebula Awards Weekend in Tempe.

Spent the early hours wandering around the hospitality suite. Met Karen Anderson, widow of the late great Poul Anderson, one of my all-time favorite writers. Very nice lady.

I attended a lecture on Current NASA planetary exploration activities by Dr. David Williams of Arizona State University.

Went back up to the hospitality suite and got into a group discussion (with me mostly listening) that included Jacqueline Lichtenberg. Stayed there until my fellow Codex writer Eric James Stone arrived. (His web site is linked from mine.)

Eric and I decided to grab some lunch, but ran into none other than Harlan Ellison, who is the grand master this year. Scott Card is right, anyone who spends five minutes in a room with Ellison has a story. Eric has a new name (how can you discard a name given by Ellison, even by accident?) and I have some of Ellison's DNA on a water bottle.

And, for Scott D: I have photographic evidence to prove I am at least an inch taller than Ellison. he is such a giant in so many other ways that I'm just thrilled to have finally met the man.

1 comment:

Scott said...

You lucky dudes! Sounds like a great time.